The National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization has created several new resources, including a worksheet that individuals and family caregivers can use to decide which hospice to use.ææ The worksheet encourages people to call hospices and ask questions regarding the type of services that are important to them as a means of selecting the hospice that meets their needs.
Here is an overview of what to ask. (We have deliberately left many questions out so that you can find more by downloading the worksheet yourself.)
- Is the Hospice Medicare Certified?
- Has the hospice been surveyed by a state or federal oversight agency in the last five years?Is the hospice accredited by a national organization?
- Does the hospice conduct a family evaluation survey?
- Are clinical staff (physicians, nurses, social workers) certified or credentialed in hospice and palliative care?
- What hospital is the hospice affiliated?
- What äóìextraäó services does the hospice offer?
- How long has the hospice been operating in the community?
- What is the organizationäó»s governance structure?
If you have any questions or would like a list of hospices serving your community call NHPCOäó»s HelpLine at 800-658-8898 or visit them here.